"NOTICE TO THE RESIDENTS OF THE TOWN OF STONEWALL ON SNOW CLEARING"
The Town of Stonewall wishes to inform its residents of the policy and process used for the clearing/removal of snow accumulation from streets, sidewalks and the end of private driveways.
Policy No. 8.1 - Snow Clearing from Streets and Snow Ridge from Private Driveways is the policy which governs snow clearing/removal in Stonewall.
The process for snow clearing/removal may be adjusted for certain circumstances such as excessive accumulations of snow (wind drifting) or due to events (such as garbage collection days).
The Town of Stonewall undertakes the clearing of snow from Town streets and sidewalks to enable vehicle and pedestrian travel for residents, ratepayers and other users of Town streets and sidewalks during the winter months. It is the general intent of this Policy to outline the practice for the clearing and removal of snow from Town streets and sidewalks.
- Generally snow accumulation of 20 cm (8") or greater will necessitate the clearing of snow from streets.
- Generally snow accumulation of 7 cm (3") or greater will necessitate the clearing of snow from sidewalks.
- When clearing of snow from a street results in the placement of a snow ridge in a private driveway entrance which is 30 cm (12") or higher the Town will clear the snow ridge from the driveway entrance within four (4) hours of the snow ridge being placed.
Generally snow clearing of streets occurs as follows:
- Firstly the major streets and sidewalks are cleared. The streets include major routes and accesses for emergency services (see map here).
- Secondly Main Street is cleared and the snow removed as per an Agreement with the Province of Manitoba.
- Thirdly the remaining residential streets and remaining sidewalks are cleared. Residential streets are defined into five (5) separate areas. The areas are cleared on a rotational basis with the area which received snow clearing first the previous time moving to the end of the rotation and each of the other areas moving up in the rotation.
Typically the clearing of snow from all streets and sidewalks takes three to four days.
Also the Town of Stonewall wishes to advise of the following PARKING BAN which is in effect for snow clearing.
Vehicles may not be parked on any Town streets or boulevards longer than 2 hours from November 1st to March 31st. Vehicles parked on Town streets and boulevards during this period obstruct the removal of snow from the streets by Town staff and may be towed at the vehicle owner's expense.
Vehicles parked on Town streets or boulevards for longer than two hours during this period are in contravention of the Town's Traffic By-law No. 8/04 and may be ticketed or towed at the owner's expense.
In addition, the RESIDENTIAL STREET PARKING BAN is also in effect for snow clearing from November 1st to March 31st.
Vehicles may not be parked on Town residential streets and/or boulevards during this period as they obstruct the removal of snow from the streets by Town staff. Vehicles parked on residential streets or boulevards in the Town of Stonewall during this period are in contravention of the Town’s Traffic By-law No. 8/04 and may be ticketed or towed at the owner’s expense.
Vehicles on the street hamper snow clearing and removal. Please DO NOT park your vehicle on residential streets.
The Town of Stonewall hopes the above information assists the residents of the Town of Stonewall to understand the process for snow clearing.